Old School House

‚Äč

The Old Lockbourne Schoolhouse opened its doors in 1889.  Originally serving as a high school, it is the oldest in the Hamilton Local School District.  Once the high school was moved to Rohr Rd, the Lockbourne School became an elementary school for grades 1 – 6, until 1953.  The building had no indoor plumbing, so students used outhouses located behind the building.  Several grades were taught in just (4) four rooms.

 

The building was purchased by the Freemasons in 1954. At that time, most Masonic lodges would hold meetings on nights of the full moon, so members could make their way through the night to and from meetings. Many lodges stopped using the lunar calendar after the invention of the streetlight and only (13) thirteen Moon Lodges remain in Ohio.  Considered a Moon Lodge, the Lockbourne Lodge continued to use the lunar calendar, until it merged with Groveport in 2019.

 

The building has served residents for a long time. The Lockbourne Heritage Society served breakfast every Saturday for years, and of course we still enjoy the annual Fish Fry.

 

Now that the Village has purchased the Old School House the building is being updated, with the goal of using it as an event center for residents of Lockbourne and the surrounding area.

Old School House Before Demolition 

Old School House Before Demolition 

 Demolition Day

 Demolition Day

Cleaned Up for Fish Fry before many cosmetics were complete such as walls being cleaned and painted, windows being opened up, & trim put up.

Decorated for the day of the Christmas Hop - windows and fireplaces both opened. 

 85 Commerce St Lockbourne OH 43137 - (614) 491-3161- Hours: MON, WED & FRI 9AM-12PM